What to bring to your VITA appointment

  • Required:All taxpayers must be present with photo identification
  • Required: Original Social Security Cards or ITINs for tax filers and dependents
  • W-2 from your job/employer
  • Total Cash income (VITA: expenses are limited to $10,000)
  • 1099 Misc from a Job or Contract Work (VITA: expenses are limited to $10,000)
  • 1099K for Uber, Lyft, GrubHub, etc.
  • 1099 R from Retirement Income
  • 1099 SSA from Social Security Administration
  • 1099 INT for Interest income (savings or bank account)
  • 1099 DIV from Dividends
  • 1099 G from Unemployment
  • W-2 G from Gambling
  • Form 1095A for health insurance purchased through Covered CA
  • Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) issued by the IRS
  • Last year’s tax return (tax year 2017)
  • Bank account number for fast and secure direct deposit of your refund.

Forms for credits and deductions:

  • Proof of expenses for your self-employment and cash income (proof of mileage and expenses)
  • Form 1098T Tuition form for you or anyone on the return attending college
  • Complete tuition, financial aid statements, and/or textbook receipts for you or anyone on the return attending college
  • Form 1098E Interest paid on Student Loans
  • Name, Address, Social # and Phone Number of your Child Care provider
  • Form 1098 Mortgage and Property Tax
  • Donations over $500 require a letter
  • Medical expenses
    • Note: ITIN Renewals require valid photo identification and birth certificate OR a valid passport.

Returns that are considered Out-of-Scope:

  • Incomes more than $55,000
  • Self-employed or cash income with business related expenses over $10,000, have a loss, taking expenses with no proof (receipts, documented mileage, etc. are required), employees, inventory, or business property.
  • Returns for businesses.
  • Cancelled debt income (Forms 1099C and 1099A) for foreclosures or short sales.
  • Handwritten tax documents (W-2, 1099, 1098, etc.)
  • Returns for visitors, such as “F,” “J,” “M,” or “Q” visas, that require a 1040NR tax return.
  • Rental Income, Foreign Income, Royalty Income, or income from a partnership/corporation (K-1 form)
  • Married Filing Separately returns (If you are legally married & file alone - you may be a Married Filing Separate taxpayer - this is out of scope and we will not be able to assist you).

Brought to you by:

Korean Youth Community Center Los AngelesLAHousing.pngConsumer business affairs.pngCiti.pngCalEITC Logo.png

Powered By:
United Way of Greater Los Angeles
United Way of Greater Los Angeles